Wednesday 6 July 2011

Tribute to Amsterdam







Visiting Amsterdam last year, I got really excited about all the clogs hanging in the shops and markets. I bought a pair to paint myself but when I got them home I couldn't decide what to put on them so they have been painted and repainted a couple of times.

After finishing my PGCE I finally have some spare time so I pulled out the clogs! I decided to draw the houses and canals but I wanted another link to Holland. So, the design is inspired by dutch lace. It is so beautiful and intricate, I want the drawings to have the same quality.

I sanded and painted the clogs with white acrylic to give a smooth, blank surface. I am using a .25 Rotring Isograph pen filled with black ink to draw the design onto the clogs. It's slow but cathartic work!

I have been listening to the audio book of 'The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet' by David Mitchell whilst drawing on the clogs too - it's very fitting! My partner's Mum lent it to me and I didn't know that it was about the Dutch in Japan. Really enjoying the story and the drawing.

No comments:

Post a Comment